[Asterisk-Users] Newbie setup (Hardware questions)

m. smadi smadim2 at grads.ece.mcmaster.ca
Wed Dec 15 16:07:48 MST 2004

if you are going to use SIP phones (either software or hardware) then
you won't need FXS.  You will need FXO modules to connect you to the
PSTN (i.e. to the outside world).  FXS is used so you can hook POTS
phones to them the PBX (POTS meaning your regular phone the ones you
most likely have at your house and as such)

this link is an ok document explaining the different

www.patton.com/technotes/*fxs*_*fxo*.*pdf

hope this help

moe smadi