[Asterisk-Users] How can i test a modem with Asterisk?

Christopher L. Wade clwade at sparco.com
Wed Dec 15 09:40:04 MST 2004

Darren Nickerson wrote:

> Just two points of clarification Chris, ... first of all I don't think
> the x100p is central to Digium's existence at all. Do you see it on
> their website any more? ;-)
>
> Secondly, Digium is no longer just "a hardware business", according to
> their "Professional Services" left-nav option and the offerings below it.
>
> -Darren

To your first clarification.  I know - so does the rest of the world.
The question isn't whether the Digium depends on this card or that card,
its that if they spent all their time developing drivers for other
peoples hardware, they wouldn't have any time left for developing the *
core.  I don't know of a single company alive today that only has one
product.  I never said Digium does.

To your second.  Again I know - so does the rest of the world.  But I'm
sure enough of their revenue comes from hardware sales that it would
probably have a very negative effect on their bottom line to actively
support another companies equivalent product.

Understand, I wasn't trying to completely explain Digium's business
model/plan.  I don't know it.  I'm just expressing my stinky opinion in
regards to the questions of why the * dev team doesn't write drivers for
this modem and that other modem, oh and this cool new one that just came
out 5 years ago!  Digium - as a company making a living off an open
source software project - must find any way it can to make money,
'locking' you down to their equipment is a pretty good way.  I say
'locking' because we all know there are probably thousands of * installs
that don't have a single piece of Digium hardware in them.

-Chris

PS: I'm not trying to start a digium vs. generic vs. etc... war here.
I'm just trying to answer the OP's question.

--
Christopher L. Wade                     Unistar-Sparco Computers, Inc.
Senior Systems Administrator                            dba Sparco.com