[Asterisk-Users] How can i test a modem with Asterisk?

Darren Nickerson darren.nickerson at ifax.com
Wed Dec 15 08:31:03 MST 2004

"Christopher L. Wade" <clwade at sparco.com> wrote:

> Steven Kalcevich (Lists) wrote:
>> Question,
>>
>> What makes them useless? What does the xp100 have that others are
>> missing, just wondering. thanks
>
> Simple its a winmodem.  This means that absolutely raw data is handed over
> to the CPU, not pre-processed data like you would get from any other type
> of modem.  * was developed to use 'off-the-shelf' components, which
> doesn't necessarily mean ots cards.
>
> The * dev team spends an incredible amount of time trying to create more
> apps and hammer more functionality and stability into the code.  They work
> their buts off to make * happen.  In return, they have only developed
> drivers for ONE particular chipset, which happens to be a winmodem
> chipset, typically built into a cheap piece of hardware, making *
> compatible hardware easy - relatively speaking - to come by.  They do this
> for several reasons as I will attempt to explain in - vain - hopes this
> question won't get asked again for at least another week.
>
> First, Digium is a hardware business.

[snip]

Just two points of clarification Chris, ... first of all I don't think the
x100p is central to Digium's existence at all. Do you see it on their
website any more? ;-)

Secondly, Digium is no longer just "a hardware business", according to their
"Professional Services" left-nav option and the offerings below it.

-Darren

--
Darren Nickerson
Senior Sales & Support Engineer