[Asterisk-Users] SIP INFO vs RFC2833?

Tony Mountifield tony at softins.clara.co.uk
Wed Dec 15 05:38:22 MST 2004

The background: trying out direct peer-to-peer SIP between a Grandstream
BT100 and a Sipura SPA-3000 with its FXO port connected to a PSTN line.

I found initially that the Sipura was very unreliable at detecting the
digits dialled by the Grandstream. I have had all my GS phones set to
DTMF=SIP-INFO. I found that by changing to RFC2833, the Sipura would
then detect digits reliably. I'm inclined to switch to RFC2833 for all
my phones.

My question: what are the pros and cons of SIP-INFO vs RFC2833? Why would
I choose one over the other, if both are available options? Particularly
in the context of SIP phones with an Asterisk server.

Cheers
Tony
--
Tony Mountifield