[Asterisk-Users] Re: Ethernet Channel Bank idea

Matt Klein mklein at nmedia.net
Wed Dec 15 03:29:50 MST 2004

FXS vs FXO, listen.

I really didn't mean to present that as a perspective, only a challenge to
shoot down an inflated price model for FXS ports.

If you mention FXO, I must mention $100 will not buy you what I am talking
about. I am talking FXS ONLY.

I am too, interested, in an Ethernet Channel Bank.

I will not mention PAP2-NA's for 2 Line VOIP FXS ports at $56 standard
retail each, nor will I mention SIP which comes standard with Asterisk to
ship VOIP calls to, and which passes G.729 across a T-1 or DSL to a device
which you can buy, such as a 7905, 7940, 7960 and I definitely won't point
you to buy a 729 license from
http://store.yahoo.com/asteriskpbx/asteriskg729.html.
or 'borrow' one from elsewhere.

Besides, GSM compression is pretty close.

etc etc etc

Big Difference between FXS and FXO.

And yes, point made, rural fxo bonding could be more cost friendly with
that type of a device.. as could already established lines. No installs
etc.

Let me know if you every come up with a $400 48 Port FXO device.

With that, if as an FXO device, and not looking at FXS, the $400 is
interesting.. considering only 2 points
	1) Call Answered is at Channel Bank level
	2) Call Delivered is only via Ethernet.

PSTN  -> | PM | -> *

Otherwise for twice the cost, I can do 4 ports @ $800.. vs 2 ports at
$400. Matching cost and supporting open source software.

Otherwise this is a null and void topic. Same cost per T?

Am I wrong here?

 -m

"I believe there are more instances of the abridgment
of the  freedom of the  people by  gradual and silent
encroachments of  those in power  than by violent and
sudden usurpations."  - James Madison