[Asterisk-Users] four wildcards in a single pc

Jim Van Meggelen jim at vanmeggelen.ca
Mon Dec 13 23:36:59 MST 2004

The problem isn't _exactly_ the volume of interrupts, but rather the
need to have each one serviced immediately, and none get missed. The
Zaptel cards are unique in that they do not have a DSP (Digital Signal
Processor - a chip that handles audio) on board, and thus must get the
CPU to perform this. The job gets done, but the human ear hears about
any samples that get missed. Mostly, this problem seems to show up as
echo.

Any other telephony card will tend to have it's DSPs on board, and thus
will generally be less succeptable to this problem. I couldn't speak
about the Audiotronix cards per se, but I am very interested in them.

Ultimately, any time you run audio through a PC you need to be sure the
system is up to the task. The more calls/connections happening, the more
chances that a delay will occurr. _any_ delay will generally be heard by
the users as _something_ (echo, static, distortion, clicks, pops, etc).