[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk up & running, now what?

Ed Greenberg edg at greenberg.org
Mon Dec 13 16:41:23 MST 2004

Cool things to do for home/small business use...

1. Bring up voicemail on your extensions.

2. Get a US phone number free from ipkall.com.  Get some more free numbers
from various places. Maybe even pay for one or two. Call forward your POTS
lines on busy, so that people can be sent to voicemail or to ring in on a
second appearance while you are on the phone.

3. Create a menu tree (dial one if by land and two if by sea and I on the
opposite shore will be).

4. Implement paging? On the sound card?

5. Buy some SIP or IAX outgoing minutes. Experiment with less expensive
outgoing service. For instance, voipjet will terminate in the UK for 1.5c
(us) per minute. At the current rate of exchange, that's about 1p/min.

6. Implement MeetMe so you can host conferences.

7. Implement tie lines to other Asterisk boxes. For instance, if I dial 11
and an extension, I get connected within another friend's system over IAX.
Meanwhile, he dials 2368 and is connected to my inbound menu tree.

That should keep you busy :)

Best,
</edg>

--On Monday, December 13, 2004 11:21 PM +0000 Mike Dent <mcdent at gmail.com>