[Asterisk-Users] MultiTech VOIP box

Tracy R Reed treed at copilotconsulting.com
Mon Dec 13 16:09:06 MST 2004

Has anyone been able to make the multitech voip box speak H323 with
asterisk? I am using the asterisk CVS from a week ago and the recommended
versions of pwlib and openh323. I am able to connect to the multitech 800
box at our remote office which is connected via POTS to a proprietary PBX
system. I do this by dialing a DISA extension which gives a dialtone like
employees here are accustomed to (we are replacing their ancient pbx with
asterisk and trying to make it work as similarly as possible) and we then
dial 31 which connects us to the multitech 800 in the remote office. The
multitech opens the line to their PBX system up there and we hear the
dialtone. However, if we enter an extension for the remote phone system to
dial the dialtone never goes away. It is as if it is never seeing our
DTMF. I have tried out of band (and multitech says they are using rfc2833)
as well as inband dtmf. This box has been plugged into that phone system
for a couple of years with no problems so I am sure it is not the DTMF
gain or duration on the POTS line on the remote end. There is a page on
using the multitech with asterisk on the wiki but it looks like that is
more about making the POTS lines work and not about H323.

Before anyone suggests we not use H323 and instead flash our multitech
devices up to support SIP know that it would involve making trips to 4
different offices covering the farthest corners of the North American
continent. It would just be really swell if I could somehow avoid that.

Nearly every asterisk project I have been involved with so far has
involved H323 and it has become the bane of my existance.

--
Tracy Reed    http://copilotcom.com
This message is cryptographically signed for your protection.