[Asterisk-Users] Pitching Asterisk

Samudra E. Haque haque at pradeshta.net
Mon Dec 13 09:21:33 MST 2004

Ref: Message: 10
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 08:31:04 -0700
From: "Damon Estep" <damon at suburbanbroadband.net>
Subject: RE: [Asterisk-Users] Pitching Asterisk
http://www.millenigence.com/articles/asterisk-non-technical-review.pdf

Be careful about the last few paragraphs of this PDF, if possible, before
this paper is provided to any members of "upper management", the lines that
will ring the most bells' are, and I am quoting here "
Performance of Asterisk has not been explored much. While the claim is that
Asterisk can scale well, there
is no test data showing that Asterisk can support large number of users
without performance penalty.
There is no easy way to cluster Asterisk installations to scale up and match
the performance of legacy PBX
systems".

I would highly recommend drawing a diagram up in place of that paragraph and
showing how multiple Asterisk servers in a communication rack, connected to
their own 10/100/1000 Mbps VLAN can be aggregated to provide thousands of
H.323, SIP or IAX call processing, provided that each desktop is connected
via a IP telephone such as
http://ipphone.eezeephone.com/index_files/Page640.htm, but there are plenty
of other such devices on the internet that may do the job of "data +
telephony". I would actually suggest that while test data is not available,
at least some of the commercial users of Asterisk should be honest and
provide voluntary data about their large scale implementations or if Digium
knows, they can do a customer survey (i.e., how many Apache's are in use)
and report the summary results per annum to measure the growth/adoption
rate.

-samudra

---