[Asterisk-Users] RE: Polycom 500 - Dialtone while connected

Julien Goodwin asterisk-lists at studio442.com.au
Sun Dec 12 06:30:32 MST 2004

On Sun, Dec 12, 2004 at 05:50:16AM -0600, Rich Adamson arranged a set of bits into the following:
> > > I'm interested too. Any chance to put the archive in a ftp site?.
> > >

> > I am also interested in getting the 1.3.4 firmware. It annoys me that I
> > can't just get it from Polycom's website, and forces me to rethink
> > deploying their phones for customers.
>
> Send emails to the Polycom sales, support and other groups, and complain
> to them. Maybe if enough folks do that they will rethink their policy.
>
> They claim to be handling it the way they do because they want to
> "maintain high quality customer support" through certified dealers.
> That might be true for their more sophisticated products, but it
> certainly does not appear to be working for their IP phones. I'd bet
Doesn't work for their better phones either...
The problem is that they assume that the reseller knows more then the
customer, something that hasn't been true for a *long* time.
Polycom are second only to Cisco in the shere stupidity of their
managemnt (yes I haven't delt with Avaya or some of the more traditional
companies who are apparently just as bad) with regards to VoIP,
believing that their customers will want to buy their softswitches, and
are not buying VoIP for say _the_flexibility_.

I've tried telling Cisco that if we could simply have a copy of the
Skinny protocol docs (which do exist and are distributed to some
companies) that they would have increased sales due to the people who
want features SIP can't provide, or the possibility of the integrated
applications. But they don't listen and don't seem to care. Fortunatly
the word I'm hearing (at least in .au large commercial) is that many
large companies that have gone cisco are getting very annoyed at them
for promising and not delivering, and if they continue their next
upgrade will be explicitly *not* cisco. [Those are direct words from a
few large scale PBX integrators I know, not myself]

If they would just realise that if they had their products actually
realise the potentional that VoIP offers they'd increase sales where it
matters, on the equipment that's VISIBLE, with THEIR branding on it, not
* or whoever makes the switch. And at least for * they dont need to do
anything, just release the docs _they_already_have_.

> a fair number of folks reselling their IP phones aren't certified
> and they are picking up the product through (back-door) distributors.
> (That's got to be part of the reason why resellers do not include
> copies of the required (license) software when shipping product, if
> when its stipulated on a purchase order.)
I assume you mean even when, and if a vendor did that I'd just return it
and not pay the bill. If it's not what I ordered then it doesn't meet
the contract and so I won't pay. Any vendor that still complained would
never get my business, not that of anyone I know.