[Asterisk-Users] Variable-length dialing with a Quicknet Inetnet PhoneJACK card

Ian R. Justman ianj at ian-justman.com
Sat Dec 11 21:19:15 MST 2004

Hi, all.

On a lark, I have gotten Asterisk 1.0.2 (from Debian testing) up and
running, but I have found one problem when I try to use it with Free
World Dialup:  Dialing doesn't work properly.

I have everything else working; it receives calls, ringing my phone and
everything, but when I try to dial using the configs found on FWD's site
for Asterisk at this URL:

http://www.fwd.pulver.com/advanced/iax

When I use a real telephone on a QuickNet card, it takes anything after
the 393, and only one digit of it.  I confirmed it by replacing the "."
with "XXX" so I can try dialing the three-digit number to test.  It
works just fine, but then, I'm only limited to dialing three-digit
numbers with FWD.  What happens I hear ringing after the 393-6 in
393-612 which I would dial to get the time.  And the following appears
in the messages log file:

Dec 11 18:26:18 WARNING[131080]: Call rejected by 65.39.205.121: No such
context/extension

That's because it's trying to dial "6" and it hadn't even taken the rest
of my dialing yet.

Near as I can tell, the pattern matching on "." only seems to work as
advertised when you have a phone which sends a dial packet, rather than
taking indidividual DTMFs from a real telephone because you don't have
an idea of when the stream of digits will actually end or you can
somehow tell Asterisk to look for something, like a hash.
Anyone have any advice on this one?  I'm at wit's end.

--Ian.