[Asterisk-Users] SCRIPT: Fax Remvoal Please Call: 1-800...

Michael Loftis mloftis at wgops.com
Sat Dec 11 16:13:40 MST 2004

--On Thursday, December 09, 2004 19:19 -0700 Joseph <syscon at interbaun.com>
wrote:

> On Thu, 2004-12-09 at 18:11 -0800, Lee Howard wrote:
>> On 2004.12.09 17:56 Joseph wrote:
>> > At time to time I receive some junk faxes from some advertising
>> > companies that play smart and don't provide any TSI number so I can
>> > not
>> > bock them by the number in Hylafax.
>>
>> Do they not provide Caller*ID either?
>>
> No they don't provide any caller ID, if they did they would be on my
> junk_fax_list long time ago.
>
> I think it is illegal to send faxes with-out any identifier like caller
> ID.  Though I don't know who to complain to about it.

It's illegal to send junk faxes though, PERIOD.  If you didn't request the
fax in the first place they can, and will face steep fines/penalties at the
hands of the FCC, if you report them.  So report them, include any
information you can, and cooperate with the FCC if they want to continue
gathering more evidence.

Same thing with telemarketers.  The FCC is actually pretty good about
finding and hurting these sleezebags, contrary to popular government
images, they do get stuff done.  SPAM is another matter, but junk faxes and
telemarketers have well established procedures for being dealt with.