[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk@Home

a b andrew_nh3 at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 9 19:13:10 MST 2004

I have started to receive a lot of positive response
for the Asterisk at Home project. For those of you
unfamiliar with this project the goal of Asterisk at Home
is to make a full featured version of Asterisk very
easy to install.

We have created a 1 step .iso that installs RHEL
(RedHat Enterprise Linux) and Asterisk. It includes a
web GUI that allows easy editing of the Asterisk
Config files. Asterisk at Home has many other features
including xPL (home automation) support, database
integration, and usage statistics.

If you would like to try it for yourself you can
download it from
http://sourceforge.net/projects/asteriskathome/

I have received some questions on Asterisk at Home from
this list and from my page on voip-info.org here a few
answers.

1. I tried to install Asterisk at Home on my XXXX pc and
it says it don't support my system.

Asterisk at Home is based on RHEL 3 Linux. RHEL 3 does
not support many older systems. You should have at
least a 300MHz PII. This may have been an oversight on
my part but most of the info I have read on Asterisk
says it does not run well on systems slower than this.
Besides look on e-bay a dell Optiplex GX1, a great
Linux and Asterisk box with good hardware support,
sells for $34 (buy it now)! Seem like a worthwhile
investment for Asterisk/Linux experimentation.

If you really want to use Asterisk on slower hardware
try Debian Linux it runs on almost anything and has
good asterisk support.

2. I can’t connect to my network with from
Asterisk at Home

You can try the netconfig command. You can use
netconfig to configure your network manually. You can
check to see if your card is supported by RHEL. If it
isn’t you might have to compile a driver for it
(yuck!). Your best bet is to use generic hardware that
is known to work well with Linux (see above) you could
also buy a network card that works with Linux (3com
work well)

3. I would like to use my strange-ass
ISDN/TAPI/PSTN/VOIP/phone thingy with Asterisk can you
help?

Asterisk at home is designed to be a starting off point
for Asterisk experimentation. It supports some basic
hardware. But beyond that try this mailing list or the
ever useful voip-info.org. These resources will help
you get just about any type of telephone interface
known to man working with Asterisk!

Hope this helps.

-Andrew