[Asterisk-Users] Linux basics and Asterisk basics

JR Richardson jr.richardson at cox.net
Sat Dec 11 08:29:56 MST 2004

On Fri, 2004-12-10 at 16:29, Jim Guy wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am just starting to research Asterisk and I would like to install it
> on a PC to try out. I have looked around quite a bit but I haven't
> found much information on the Linux part. I know you need to put Linux
> on the PC first but what version or flavor of Linux do you recommend?
> I contacted Red Hat and they had not heard of Asterisk and they said
> Asterisk is not certified for Red Hat. Are there any Linux
> installation instructions that you would recommend? If there are any
> other getting started suggestions, I sure would appreciate it.

Tim,

Check out http://www.xorcom.com/rapid/

These guys came up with a really neat solution for beginners and have a cool
interface utility for logs, stats and other stuff.  Just grab an old PC and
load up this CD and away you go.

Also check out http://www.automated.it/asterisk/

This distro is a live CD with Asterisk installed, no need for a hard drive
install, just boot the CD and your up and running with Linux and Asterisk,
it works on the Knoppix principles.

And definitely check out Knoppix http://www.knoppix.net/ , it's the bomb for
newbie's.

Good luck and welcome to Asterisk.