[Asterisk-Users] T.38 Pass-Thru?

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Fri Dec 10 12:47:28 MST 2004

Matthew Boehm wrote:

>What happens if asterisk receives a T.38 call? Will asterisk pass it thru?
>
>I've seen a few ATA devices that support T.38 and I'm wondering what happens
>if a fax is sent thru one of these ATAs into asterisk.
>
>Maby I have the terminology wrong. Is T.38 a protocol like SIP or is T.38 a
>compression like G729 using SIP?

Right now it does not get handled. I think it looks like an unknown codec.

SIP is a signalling protocol. T.38 is more like a cross between a codec
(e.g. G.729) and a transport (e.g. RTP). It defines its own UDP or TCP
messages (although a proposal for using RTP as the transport exists). It
defines a scheme for demodulating the modem tones, send their contents
through the transport, and remodulating out the other end. If an
endpoint is within a computer the demodulating and remodulating is
skipped, and you get a T.38 package like the t38modem add on for OpenH323.

Regards,
Steve