[Asterisk-Users] MeetMe Features

Christopher L. Wade clwade at sparco.com
Fri Dec 10 10:26:48 MST 2004

Leif Madsen wrote:
>>You need to make sure that the temporary file is stored on the same device
>>as the actual spool file. Otherwise the 'mv' below will not be atomic.
>>/var/spool is not unheard of to have on it's own partition. Just a heads
>>up.
>

> I don't think I quite understand.  Even if it is on a different
> partition, the path should still be the same should it not?
> /var/spool should still work whether it is on /dev/hda2 or /dev/hda5 ?

What he is saying here, is that a 'mv' across multiple partitions, which
to the file-system, could be multiple devices, is not as simple as
moving a pointer.

For a 'mv' across partitions/disks, the file has to be 'copied' to the
new location and then 'removed' from the old location.  For a 'mv'
inside the same partition, the pointer in the file-system is simply
changed, and you're done.  Thus a 'mv' across partitions is not atomic,
and a 'mv' inside the partition is.

Chris

PS. I hope I'm not off on this.

--
Christopher L. Wade                     Unistar-Sparco Computers, Inc.
Senior Systems Administrator                            dba Sparco.com