[Asterisk-Users] Integrating * with Mitel SX2000 Lite

Chris Morgan cmorgan at ufi.com
Fri Dec 10 09:33:22 MST 2004

Hi All,

Our experience with * to date has been a bit limited.  It's a 4xCisco
7960 network, linking our head office with a faraday caged datacenter.
As a way of putting voicecomms into a sealed room, it was quick and easy
to deploy, and works very well.  As typically happens, we've now thought
about extending the use of asterisk - and a new opportunity has cropped
up.  In three months time, we have a couple of new small offices coming
on stream.  Prices quoted for POTS comms have been expensive, so we've
decided to look at providing an Asterisk/VOIP solution for the 30 or so
users, and just having a couple of local analogue lines for fax and
emergency use.  The aim of the asterisk solution is to provide both
external POTS connectivity and the ability to make internal calls to our
existing head office network.  (350 extension Mitel SX2000).   In theory
we should be able to assign a head-office DDI number for each desk in
the new offices, and route calls transparently via the asterisk server
to the VOIP extension.

Current plan is that we buy a digium TE110P Card, and crossover-connect
it to the Mitel PABX as a secondary exchange.  Asterisk will have no
direct PSTN connection, but will route all non VOIP to VOIP calls via
the Mitel.  Unfortunately I can't find any info on the * Wiki or in the
list archives about how to go about configuring this combination.  Mitel
have confirmed that the E1/EuroISDN option should connect to the PABX,
and that 'QSIG can be enabled on the exchange' but have stopped short of
saying that the two will talk to each other.

1.  Does anybody have any experience of trying to get * talking to a
Mitel SX2000 Lite?
2.  Is there a definitive list of what asterisks implementation of QSIG
supports, and what it doesn't?  Is the current support level likely to
be sufficient for the above, or do we need to look at some alternative
method/protocol?
3.  What pitfalls do we need to look out for when implementing the
above, over and above the usual datacomms latency/capacity issues?
4.  Coming from a datacomms/systems background, I find all this talk of
channel banks, spans, signalling protocols, TDM and so on a bit of a
foreign language.  Does anyone know of a good primer on the web
somewhere that would help in getting up to speed with voicecomms
terminology?

Any help gratefully received,

Chris Morgan
UFI Limited