[Asterisk-Users] four wildcards in a single pc

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Thu Dec 9 10:13:02 MST 2004

On Thu, 2004-12-09 at 10:27 -0600, Matthew Boehm wrote:
> > You need to understand that the Digium cards generate 1000 interupt
> > requests per second per card. So 4 Digium cards generate 4000 interupts
> > per second. Your system will start to buckle under the load if you had
> > enough of a computer to begin with.
>
>     (Pardon my hardware ignorance) Why do the cards need 1000 interupts per
> second? What is that doing?

IT wouldn't be so hard to pardon your ignorance if this hadn't been
discussed many times on the list before and is covered in the archives.
You should have googled for it.

In an attempt to make sure the archives stop getting diluted with
(probably mine mostly) flames of people who don't look up the
information, I will go ahead and repeat the information here.

Digium cards need 1000 interupts per card per second due to the lack of
onboard buffer. The buffer was left off of the design to keep the design
simple and therefore inexpensive. All the cards present 8 bits of data
per channel during that interupt and as all telephony is 8000 bits per
channel per second.... 8000/8 = 1000 service needs per second. An
interupt is the way hardware requests service.