[Asterisk-Users] four wildcards in a single pc

Kristian Kielhofner kris at krisk.org
Thu Dec 9 10:05:22 MST 2004

Matthew Boehm wrote:
>>You need to understand that the Digium cards generate 1000 interupt
>>requests per second per card. So 4 Digium cards generate 4000 interupts
>>per second. Your system will start to buckle under the load if you had
>>enough of a computer to begin with.
>

>     (Pardon my hardware ignorance) Why do the cards need 1000 interupts per
> second? What is that doing?
>

> Matthew

Matthew,

	Timing.  MeetMe, IAX trunking and all of the other components of
Asterisk that need accurate timing need 1000hz timing, or 1000 "clicks"
per second.  The digium cards generate those for you.

	At Astricon I asked why you need that accurate of a timing source, and
Matt Frederickson from Digium said that you need very accurate timing
when mixing audio streams (like in IAX trunking and MeetMe), to keep the
audio in sync.  It makes sense, I guess...

--
Kristian Kielhofner