[Asterisk-Users] Are there any digital phones that runon asteriskyet?

Jim Van Meggelen jim at vanmeggelen.ca
Tue Dec 7 23:00:11 MST 2004

>asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com wrote:
>> Jim Van Meggelen wrote:
>>> asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com wrote:
>>>
>>> Are there any digital phones that run on asterisk yet? I'm talking
>>> about non-IP phones here...
>>>
>> Possibly what you'll want is something that'll convert proprietary
>> digital formats into standards-based formats.
>>
>> These folks have some interesting ideas:
>>
>> http://www.citel.com/products/docs/SIPProdSht_5.19.04.pdf
>
> No, actually he wanted to be able to plug them into a Zap
> card and have
> them work, not convert their protocol to/from SIP and so forth.

I hear ya. I guess what I was getting at was that I couldn't see much
hope of getting Asterisk to natively support proprietary sets, but if he
was really keen on re-using the phones (a major expenditure in a PBX
purchase), he'd stand the best chance of doing so with some type of
mechanism to convert the proprietary protocol to an open standard of
some kind.

Supporting the proprietary phones is theoretically possible, but
prohibitively expensive. There'd be some nifty electronics required,
methinks.

The real key, of course, would be finding a group of über-geeks willing
to put the time and effort into such a project. You'd have to find the
kind of guys that like rebuilding old video games . . . or steam
locomotives ;-Þ