[Asterisk-Users] gsm codec, very poor quality.

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at starnetworks.us
Tue Dec 7 16:19:49 MST 2004

Andrei (MPI) wrote:

> I am using wav format for prompts. I see no reason to use gsm or
> anything else, if disk space is not a problem.
> The same as using ulaw if bandwidth is not a problem.

If your callers are coming in over PSTN connections, then you should
store your prompts in ulaw (.ul) or alaw (.al) files. There is no value
in storing them in any WAV-type format at all, since Asterisk will still
have to translate them. Realistically, though, you should store all your
prompts in every format your callers are likely to use: Asterisk will
choose the "best" format to play back when it is needed.

sox does an excellent job of converting the Digium-supplied GSM files
into ulaw files. Obviously the sound quality does not improve (without
access to the original uncompressed material), but it saves a small
amount of CPU time on the server doing the playback.