[Asterisk-Users] zaptel and low ring voltage

Alessandro Ren alessandro.ren at opservices.com.br
Tue Dec 7 08:23:15 MST 2004

    I'd plug four telephones in these lines and test if the lines are
really engaged or not and in case it is busy, the other will ring or it
will bring you to the voicemail. I ha a similiar problem, the telco had
no engaged the lines properly, after this was solved , I also had a
damaged FXO channel.
     Can't you replace the card and see what happens? The telco could
also have sold more lines that the switch really supports, thus causing
sometimes this problem. I have seen this happening with my local telcos.

    []s.

Jim Van Meggelen wrote:

>asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com wrote:
>

>>Hi all,
>>
>>Several months ago we built an * box with a quad-FXO tdm400p
>>(REV e/f).
>>

>>>From the get-go, there has been a problem where occasionally
>>>

>>(2-3 times
>>a week) zaptel/* will not detect the ringing on a line.  (The
>>call will ring through to telco voicemail).
>>
>>The problem is not specific to a single line or FXO port on the
>>tdm400p.
>>
>>I have 2 theories:
>>
>>#1 - the ring voltage for some calls is below acceptable levels
>>

>Possible, but also possible that there is too much loss on the circuit.
>
>You can test the ringing voltage with a meter, it needs to be between
>90V and 110V.
>
>Beyond that you may need to use a transmission test set (such as a
>Wilcom T136B). I got mine for $20 bucks on eBay. Using a butt set and
>the test set you'll need to call a 1004Hz source from TELUS and then
>check that you're within the following specs:
>Loop mA:		23 or better (too hot is no good either, but I
>doubt that's your problem)
>Circuit loss:	between 0 and -8dB. 0 is really too hot, -3 to -6 is
>nominal, -8.5 is pushing it, but still within spec.
>

>>#2 - the tdm400p card is bad
>>
>>Assuming #1, can the zaptel driver be tweaked to be more sensitive to
>>ringing?
>>
>>Any other ideas or experiences?
>>
>>Running asterisk/zaptel v1.0.2
>>
>>Thank you,