[Asterisk-Users] Budgetone 101 phones ? SIP through NAT ?

Doug Lytle support at drdos.info
Mon Dec 6 14:20:23 MST 2004

Kim Lux wrote:

>I'm new to VOIP.  We are thinking of setting up a VOIP system between a
>couple remote offices.  I've been lurking on this group for a while.
>
>What is the consensus on these phones:
>
>http://www.netvoice.ca/grandstream/budgetone101.htm

Cheap, but useable.  I'd go for the 102 model though, since it has a 2nd
ethernet port.  It was listed as $124CA

>I'm confused about the SIP protocol... can a SIP phone be located behind
>a NATing firewall ?

I'm currently testing 1 phone behind NAT.  Works fine.  The server is
running in the office, linked between an OpenVPN connection (TAP) and
NATted behind the TAP adapter's IP.

>When people use asterisk on a broadband connection used for data and
>VOIP, do they put the asterisk machine behind a firewall or do they put

I'm playing around with 1 Asterisk box on my Mandrake Firewall, I've
opened up 1 port to allow the firewall to contact the Office Asterisk
server(Plan on trying to get inter-Asterisk boxes taking).  In a
production environment though, it should be running on a separate box
behind the firewall.

>Is anyone using QOS throttling when sharing VOIP and data on the same
>broadband connection ?  Is it necessary ?

I'm not yet.

Doug