[Asterisk-Users] Group sip definitions?

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Sun Dec 5 06:34:42 MST 2004

Been around * for over a year and I'm looking for a way to provide
a simple set of group sip.conf phone definitions that can be used by
multiple internal sip phones (as in 50/group for example).
Something like:

[All-Sales]
type=friend
username=*
secret=sales99
callgroup=9
pickupgroup=9

[All-CustServ]
type=friend
username=*
secret=cs88
callgroup=8
pickupgroup=8

If we _assume_ all sip phones are of the same type (eg, C7940's), is
there a way to provide a single definition (such as All-Sales in the
above example) that can be used by multiple phones keying off the
'secret=' to establish business oriented groupings? (Sort of like
approaching plug-n-play at the sip phone level, using definitions
specifically entered into each phone.)

I fully understand how that might impact security, accountability, etc.

It would appear that we now have sufficient * functions and macro
capability to address extensions.conf definitions, checks for whether
a voicemail box exists, etc, but I'm apparently brain-dead in finding
a way to minimize the need to micro-manage individual sip def's.

Any thoughts? Am I missing something or dreaming?

Rich