[Asterisk-Users] Ouch, part reset, quickly

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Sat Dec 4 06:55:49 MST 2004

On December 4, 2004 12:59 am, Dinesh Nair wrote:
> i've debugged the driver well enough and know that the Ouch message happens
> when register 0x08 of the module returns >0, which indicates in most times
> that digital loopback is enabled on the card. this register is set to
> /disable/ digital loopback upon an init.

> the power alarm happens when the line feed (hookstate) of the module is not
> in sync with a driver variable which tracks hookstate. the resetting bit
> you see is just informational to let you know that the driver is setting
> the on-module registers back to what the internal variable says it should
> be.

Very interesting; thank you for sharing this.  In my experience the card
starts to act funny when I get ONE of these -- perhaps in some situations
there are more than one register that is going awry and the resetting code
doesn't reset them all?  I should hack in some debug code that dumps the
registers whenever it detects this "power" alarm.

I should also grab the datasheets and any erratta for the SLIC chipset and see
if anything interesting turns up.  Thanks for giving me a direction to start
in.

> i can explain what the driver does when these things happen, however, i'm
> thinking that it's more of a hardware issue than anything else. based on my
> (admittedly limited) reading of the Tiger320 ProSLIC datasheet, the
> registers mentioned shouldnt go awry, yet they do.

I thought the TJ320 was a PCI bridge that provided an 8-bit parallel
interface, timer and a serial interface or two, and that there was a separate
SLIC chipset which did the actual interfacing to the phone line.

-A.