[Asterisk-Users] TDM400P FXO channel remains Offhook after outoing or incoming call / line is parallel with other telephone equipment

Andrei (MPI) asterisk at markovprocesses.com
Sat Dec 4 00:57:44 MST 2004

Hi,

I am preparing to roll out Asterisk setup with TDM400P, 4 FXO modules in
a small office. Asterisk will replace legacy system (4 telco lines, 8
extensions PBX), but before the new system and ip phones would be
installed, the legacy system is still in use. The four telco lines are
now connected in parallel both to legacy PBX and the 4 FXO modules in
TDM400P. Asterisk is configured not to pick up any incoming calls.

zapata.conf:

signalling=fxs_ks
musiconhold=default
languages=en
context=inbound-analog
group = 1
channel => 1-4

zaptel.conf:

loadzone = us
defaultzone=us

fxsks=1-4

I am dialing out via Asterisk and it works fine untill the following
situation:

- one of the telco lines occasionally becomes mute after call is
completed, would not provide dial tone, (not sure about ringing on that
line) - both via old and new PBX.
- zap show channel <n> would show that line as 'Offhook', though no
telephone is off hook.

If physical line would be unplugged from TDM card, the line would become
normal again.

Sorry, if it is a well known problem, but I did not find any specific
information yet.. Please answer two questions:

 - is it really bad to have parallel connection on TDM400P FXO lines to
an additional telephone equipment, does it prevent TDM400P to detect
Offhook/Onhook correctly?
 - will the problems go away when parallel lines would be disconnected
(legacy PBX shut down)?

As you may understand the office personnel has anxiety that this may be
a bad Asterisk setup / bad TDM card etc (which I am sure so far that it
is not).

Please help.

Sincerely,
Andrei