[Asterisk-Users] drive space for voice mail

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Thu Dec 2 21:56:24 MST 2004

On Thu, 2004-12-02 at 22:38 -0600, rsenykoff at harrislogic.com wrote:

> </snip>
> Maybe you should research the problems of your raid solution.
>
> http://www.acnc.com/04_01_01.html
>
> IDE raid 1 should be avoided. IDE drives themselves can cause degraded
> performance on a machine and raid 1 would double the IDE activity. If
> you were to use a hardware raid option, you would reduce the likely
> hood
> of degraded performance due to IDE activity.
>
> I don't know if SATA helps any for you, but you need to look into what
> you can handle.
> </snip>
>
> These are 2 x SATA drives.
>
> Since when do IDE drives 'degrade performance?' Sure, when compared to
> SCSI they are slow, but the technology is pretty solid. I don't think
> we're trying to build a SAN here...

Do a search through the archives. Some IDE subsystems are known to hold
interupts too long and they interfere with the need for Zap devices to
be services 1000 times per second. If you don't service the zap devices
on time and without misses you will have degraded voice quality and
possibly, if on PRI, you could screw up a call setup or tear down.