[Asterisk-Users] Polycom 500, asterisk user opinions?

Thu Dec 2 17:22:44 MST 2004

On Fri, 2004-12-03 at 02:21, Sean Kennedy wrote:
> Hi all, I'm researching IP phones for a new office setup.  We will need
> 30 phones.  I have read the wiki and the polycom site for the phones,
> but I still had some questions about real world experience with these
> phones.
>
> -According to the documentation, the 500 series ( and 600, according to
> a polycom rep ) have built in hubs.  Has anybody noticed performance
> issues in this setup, when running a computer off of the built in second
> port?

As discussed, these are 100MB 2 port switches, my desktop runs through
it, and I've not noticed anything specific, but I *DO* notice when my
traffic crosses the damn 10MB ethernet ports in my cisco router... damn!

> -The 500 series has an indicator light, which is implied to work as a
> voice mail indicator.  Is this true?  What extra setup is needed?  Or do
> I just need to add `mailbox` to the sip config entry and be done with it?

Yep, in fact, this light is on the 300 and 600 as well. It works fine
for me....

> -Do these phones still have issues where one side hears the conversation
> while the other hears nothing or ringing?

I've never seen this issue... Although I've only ever used the 1.3.x
software since I've only been using them for about 3 months...

>   Do they still need special sip
> file entries ( 2 per phone )?

I configure one sip entry per line...

> I apprecaite any and all note/advise/rants/raves/information that the
> asterisk crowd can volunteer about this phone.

I would say that the polycom + asterisk is an ideal solution for any
business PBX. They are reliable, sturdy, and have plenty of features.
The sound quality works well, and they are also very configurable. I've
not yet worked out all the config options....

While some people would suggest that they are pricey, I would strongly
suggest that you "get what you pay for" in these phones. Though I've
only used the grandstream phones and the polycom phones, I would very
highly suggest the polycom phones as preferable. If you *really* want
low budget, and are willing to not have a 'business class' phone, then
go the grandstreams.

I have noticed some echo when using the handset/headset, but I will take
another look at the config files today. I noticed that 'ec' which I
assume is "echo cancellation" is disabled by default on both the handset
and the headset. I also noticed the nearby text which said "Don't touch
these settings". So, I'm not sure exactly what they all do, nor what
will happen when I play with them, but.... perhaps it will improve
things a bit...

Just my 0.03c worth... (inflation)

Regards,
Adam