[Asterisk-Users] Polycom POE Rumor

David Gomillion dgomillion at eyecarenow.com
Thu Dec 2 12:02:26 MST 2004

>Message: 9
>Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2004 11:33:16 -0700
>From: "Kevin P. Fleming" <kpfleming at starnetworks.us>
>Subject: Re: [Asterisk-Users] Polycom 500, asterisk user opinions?
>	<asterisk-users at lists.digium.com>
>
>>Tim Jackson wrote:
>> They aren't dumb hubs, they are dot1q capable switches. I do not
>> understand why people are saying they need special POE cables for the

>> IP500. Mine came with a cable that injected power into the cable, and

>> from what I read, its Cisco and 802.3af compatible out of the box. My

>> IP500s were $174/piece shipped. Maybe you will have better luck than
>> with them. I could be wrong on some of this info.
>
>The IP500 will not draw power from either an 802.3af or a Cisco powered

>Ethernet link without a special adapter cable from Polycom. Same goes
>for the IP300. Rumor has it that current phones are starting to ship
>with the 802.3af adapter cable included.

As the starter of the rumor, let me apologize.  I have received my first
shipment of IP300s, and they do NOT include the cable.  I was given bad
information, it seems.  It was said that when I said Power Over Ethernet
Accessory Cable for 802.3af, it was somehow misinterpreted as a Category
5 Patch Cable, which the phone does come with.  Why I would really care
about a UTP cable, I don't know...  I don't understand how, as I was
very specific, but oh well, my reseller is trying to make it right for
me...

>The IP600 has built-in 802.3af support, so it will work on an 802.3af
>link. It still requires an adapter cable to work on a Cisco powered
link.

I can verify the 600s working on an 802.3af switch, as I have 15 in
production right now, working like a dream.