[Asterisk-Users] new asterisk installation report and request for mixed voice data apps

Samudra E. Haque haque at pradeshta.net
Thu Dec 2 11:41:52 MST 2004

hi,

 I followed the instructions faithfully in
http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Asterisk+Fedora+Core+3 and the directions were
very understandable and almost painless. I did miss the documentation, as
"make progdocs" would not work since the package "doxygen" was not included
in that WIKI guide, and probably that means I will have to spend some more
time in "digging" out the documentation.

Of course I was confused about ZAPTEL and ZAPATA configuration and the FXO
vs. FXS signalling issue, also the very funny way of invoking wcfxo before
wcfxs/wctdm -- well that is an annoyance I am sure many will agree should be
resolved by better programming into one master loader driver. (ie.., a logic
tree to test the interfaces and to load the modules as needed, without user
confusion).

I was pleasantly surprised to call into the Asterisk PABX using a internal
FXS extension of my office feeding the FXO port and getting the default
"Welcome to Asterisk, and congratulations for installation...." voice
prompt, but didn't know about it, since there seems to be no mention of it
in the Wiki for new users. I used the latest CVS version for my "trial"
asterisk implementation.

I have in mind to install T1 or E1 cards in the future in this test bed, and
would like mixed voice data applications, some time slots of a trunk would
be carrying switched voice traffic, others would be HDLC data.

For example, with time slots 1-30 on a E1 trunk,  I would like, slots 1-8
for 8 voice time slots, and then perhaps 9-15 for (7 x 64 =) 448 kbps of
data application.

I read through but was underwhelmed at the example of
http://www.voip-info.org/tiki-index.php?page=Asterisk%20Data%20Configuration,
imaging using all T1 time slots for a data application in a PABX situation.
Why would anyone want to even look at this solution ?

Can anyone kindly post a config of how they setup a mixed voice/data trunk
and how they were able to (perhaps?) connect data time slots off of one
trunk to data time slots off of another trunk ? Say like a "digital cross
connect" ?

-samudra

---