[Asterisk-Users] Polycom 500, asterisk user opinions?

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at starnetworks.us
Thu Dec 2 11:33:16 MST 2004

Tim Jackson wrote:
> They aren't dumb hubs, they are dot1q capable switches. I do not
> understand why people are saying they need special POE cables for the
> IP500. Mine came with a cable that injected power into the cable, and
> from what I read, its Cisco and 802.3af compatible out of the box. My
> IP500s were $174/piece shipped. Maybe you will have better luck than I
> with them. I could be wrong on some of this info.

The IP500 will not draw power from either an 802.3af or a Cisco powered
Ethernet link without a special adapter cable from Polycom. Same goes
for the IP300. Rumor has it that current phones are starting to ship
with the 802.3af adapter cable included.

The IP600 has built-in 802.3af support, so it will work on an 802.3af
link. It still requires an adapter cable to work on a Cisco powered link.