[Asterisk-Users] Polycom IP500

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Thu Dec 2 05:34:22 MST 2004

> You may see description of new 1.3.4 firmware at polycom.com (check -
> http://www.polycom.com/common/pw_cmp_updateDocKeywords/0,1687,3641,00.pdf
> ) released in October.
>
> Though, it was proven over time that troubles with a SIP phone like "not
> hearing" one side or the other is NAT related problems. You may want to
> investigate firewall setup. I am not saying it is not phone related, but
> the phone would be the last one to blame.
>
> Also, may I express my feelfings about Cisco and Polycom - not allowing
> direct firmware download for their phones - that sucks big time. I will
> get the firmware this way or the other. They just force me to waste my
> time again and again contacting their dealers and searching the
> internet. That should just enrage customers, in my opinion. Are they so
> big, they do not even care?

I'd certainly agree with you. Just received two new 500's, one of which
would not load bootrom.ld for anything. Polycom's support line, when
questioned about downloading code, indicated the stuff was only available
through certified resellers in order to control 'quality'.

Thought that was really funny since the 500's were ordered from a reseller
"with SIP image", and the reseller never even bothered to include a
CD or url.