[Asterisk-Users] Interrupt latency problems

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Wed Dec 1 14:49:42 MST 2004

On Wed, 2004-12-01 at 14:47 -0600, Rich Adamson wrote:
> >Looking at the Changlog for 2.6.9, it would appear a fair amount of
> work has been down in the pci stuff and the interrupt support areas.
> Since that seems to be an issue that keeps rearing its head with the
> digium analog cards, maybe there is something 'fixed' in that area.
>
> Not being a strong linux admin, how difficult would you say installing
> 2.6.9 is on top of a RHv9 system (2.4.20-31.9) should be for me?
>
> Any suggestions/hints on how to do it would be appreciated.

Suggestions are basically, understand what hardware you have. Learn to
use lspci so you can check while running what the PCI devices are.

Make sure you have ncurses development package installed.

Kernels untar into linux-2.6.x directories now, link /usr/src/linux to
the source version you are wanting to compile.

Edit the makefile to specify where to install the kernel when you tell
it to install. This is probably /boot.
export  INSTALL_PATH=/boot
Make sure it is unxcommented too, the current kernels have it commented
out.

Use 'make menuconfig', it is nice and doesn't require X nor will you
pull your hair out when you skip an option and realize you need to go
backwards.

If a config option doesn't seem necessary for your deployment and is
available as a module, don't compile it into the kernel. You can always
compile more modules later.

Make sure your root filesystem type and hardware is compiled in. My
opinion is initrd is for broken installs and is a hack to avoid if
possible.

Make sure you make a backup of a good working kernel. And preferably m
copy accessible from your boot menu. Also make sure you have a good
rescue disk handy in case you blow up either the installed kernel or the
boot loader.

Once finished configing, 'make clean modules modules_install install'.
This will make everything, copy the modules to the right places, copy
the kernel to the path specified in INSTALL_PATH, update the symlinks to
point to your kernel and run your bootloader app(maybe just lilo) to
install a new bootloader.

Take a deep breath, verify your rescue disk is close, and reboot. Hope
you did it all well.