[Asterisk-Users] SIP expiry time

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Wed Dec 1 10:32:56 MST 2004

> I have this same problem with Cisco Phones. Someone will try and call an
> extension and asterisk will say "Can't create SIP channel" and I immediately
> do "sip show peers" and the phone in question still has an IP listed.
>
> If I know for fact that my 10 phones will never change IP addresses, how can
> I make the registration/expire times something alot larger, like 24 hours?

There is no need to have a the phones register with * unless your using
dhcp. If the phone has a static IP, change your sip.conf entry to use
"type=peer" instead of "type=friend", and add "host=10.1.1.1" or whatever
the phones IP address happens to be. (Or, do I have the type= peer and user
backwards; I can never remember.)

Check the wiki on the user verses peer to be sure.