[Asterisk-Users] Fedora Core 2 firewall rules - NO NAT!

Ed Greenberg edg at greenberg.org
Wed Dec 1 10:30:13 MST 2004

This is a common configuration. My asterisk box is also my router.

dsl -> eth1 -> linux <- eth0 <- home network

The linux box routes and firewalls.

In your case, you probably have another router and just want to multi-home
your asterisk box. Is this correct?  If so, just don't turn on routing, or
you will have two routers with the same number of hops and you'll create a
mess - probably.

That said, I'd install shorewall (www.shorewall.net) on the box to ease the
complexity of configuring NetFilter, and firewall it to let in only those
ports you need. Shorwall will consider the box itself as device 'fw' and
will consider the other two interfaces as 'loc' and 'net'.

If you want my ruleset I'll share it with you. Write me offline.

</edg>

--On Wednesday, December 01, 2004 5:08 PM +0000 Mike Dent