[Asterisk-Users] After setting up my FXO card, what should I now order from my telco?

Ed Greenberg edg at greenberg.org
Wed Dec 1 03:29:36 MST 2004

--On Wednesday, December 01, 2004 12:00 AM -0600 Brent Clements
<bclem at im-online.net> wrote:

> Ok, so I'm setting up my small office.
>
> I have my asterisk machine setup and I have 3 sip phones connected as my
> stations and a 4 port FXO card ready to go(planning on only using 2 lines
> currently).
>
> What should I now order from my telco(sbc in this case)

You want a telephone line with very few features:

No call waiting.
No call forwarding.
No 3 way calling.
No voicemail.

You may want to pay for caller ID or not as you choose.
If you are going to call outbound on it, you want whatever local, local
toll and long distance services will be most economical.

You probably want rollover: Calls to one line will ring on the other if the
first one is busy. This is sometimes called a "Hunt Group."

You said "office" so I am assuming you are going to order business service,
not residential service.

>From the SBC web site:

> Which phone services are right for me?
> Did you know that SBC has more than 50 different phone services to choose
> from? See which ones might be right for you.

Did you tell the representative that you are hooking your two lines up to a
small PBX and can't use features? Ask what they recommend for that case. My
experience with the SBC reps is that they've gotten better at listening and
if you get the right one, they really do understand what you are trying to
accomplish.

Best,
</edg>