[Asterisk-Users] Jitter over Sat

steve at daviesfam.org steve at daviesfam.org
Tue Aug 31 23:16:05 MST 2004

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004, Storm D. J. Petersen wrote:

> I have a problem with jitter over a 2mb up 1mb down satellite connection.  I
> call my friend over the satellite - I call perfect but they cannot make out
> a word I say. However if I leave him voicemail on his asterisk box, it
> records my voice perfect.  I have this problem when calling other people as
> well.

It sounds like you just don't have enough throughput in the one direction.
Voicemail is fine because it doesn't need "realtime" capacty - the voice
frames arriving from your side go into the captured file as they arrive,
doesn't matter if your 10 second message takes 20 seconds to arrive...

You could try using a lower bandwidth codec like GSM if you aren't
already.

Steve