[Asterisk-Users] Re: Newbie - Voicemail Password Help

Jason Kawakami jkkawakami at optellabs.com
Tue Aug 31 07:58:37 MST 2004

----- Original Message -----

> Hello All.
>
> I'm just beginning with Asterisk and I have it all working now. I'm using
> Asterisk 1.0 RC1.
>
> My only question is this; when I check my voice mail the PBX simply says
> "password". I wanted to make it say "please enter your voice mail
password" so
> I am using Background(pls-enter-vm-password).
>
> However now I hear "Please enter your voice mail password password" when I
> check my messages.
>
> That's not a type-o. It says "password" twice.
>
> Here is my extensions.conf file.
>
> [macro-vmanswer]
>

> exten => s,1,GotoIf($[${ARG1} = ${CALLERIDNUM}]?2:5)
> exten => s,2,Background(pls-enter-vm-password)
> exten => s,3,VoicemailMain(${ARG1})
> exten => s,4,Hangup
> exten => s,5,Voicemail(u${ARG1})
> exten => s,6,Hangup

try ----

exten => xxx,1,VoicemailMain(${CALLERIDNUM)
exten => xxx,2,Hangup

for your voicemailmain extension.  this will recognize that your callerid if
you have a mailbox on the system.  note that your mailbox and your caller id
must match

alternatively, you could go into the /var/lib/asterisk/sounds directory and
rename the file "vm-password" to "old.vm-password" then rename your file
"pls-enter-vmpassword" to "vm-password"

that way you would not have to alter the code at all.

> [default]
> exten => 1002,1,Macro(vmanswer,1002)
>

> The whole point of the vmanswer macro is to go to the voice mail main menu
> automatically when calling from your own phone, otherwise it sends callers
> the voice mail system to leave a message. Perhaps there's a better way to
do
> this as well. If so, please let me know.
>
> Regards,
> Paul

Good Luck

Jason Kawakami