[Asterisk-Users] which distro for asterisk?

Deon Rodden drodden at webunited.net
Tue Aug 31 07:22:30 MST 2004

We discussed this earlier and I believe the general consensus was that
it's personal choice. I've personally used Asterisk on Redhat 9.0,
Fedora Core 1 and Gentoo 2004.2

Each has required some minor securing and cleaning up, but Redhat/Fedora
tended to need more "babying" as far as securing default configs and
speeding up certain things. But after a little bit of time with it, I
had it running efficient and Asterisk loved it. The main problem I found
with Redhat/Fedora was the default kernel, the sources are all messed up
and the zaptel/libpri drivers didn't compile quite right. I simply
downloaded the latest kernel, compiled it (and set it to my specific
hardware to conserve memory) and libpri/zaptel compiled fine.

Personally I'm now using Gentoo. What I did with Gentoo was "emerge
asterisk-0.9.0" or whatever, and it handled all the dependencies for
more. When I was done with that, I did a "emerge cvs" and once I had cvs
I downloaded, compiled and upgraded to the latest
libpri/zaptel/asterisk, just did a make upgrade. Gentoo tends to be a
faster OS and more efficient with resources, it gives you bare minimum.
Which sometimes is good, for security and such, but also a pain when it
comes to standard interaction. ie by default they don't include "ftp" or
"telnet" and "traceroute" just commands I'm used to having, nothing I
can't emerge though.

In the end, it's personal choice. For now I've gone with Gentoo.
Asterisk really isn't that resource intensive, it seems to like memory a
lot, but other than that I don't see it putting heavy loads on my
systems, and the speed difference between two identical machines, one
with with Fedora Core 1 and one with Gentoo, is almost imperceivable
when it comes to working with Asterisk, (ie, the IVR and playback of
messages, and interacting with the voicemail system, etc.).