[Asterisk-Users] which distro for asterisk?

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir at technion.ac.il
Tue Aug 31 07:07:17 MST 2004

Hi

I want to play a bit with Asterisk. I currentlly install a new system
for that and I would like to get your recommendations regarding the
linux distro to use there.

This is NOT intended to become a general distro flame war. My favorite
distro is ******** and no argument that you flame will convince me here
(probably because I've heard it before).

However I would like to minimize the OS maintinance task. I really
wouldn't like to start worrying about upgrading sshd due to some stupid
secuirty hole, and to worry what will it break on my system. I expect my
distro to do that for me.

I'd also like to have solid astrisk packages that won't break
unnecessarily when the sshd package is updated next time. Hopefully also
some sort of integration of zaptel in the distro's kernel package.

I saw numerous complaints about "unofficial" RPM packages of asterisk.
Besides them, the following free distros include asterisk packages:

1. Debian: http://packages.debian.org/asterisk .
2. Gentoo: Current package seems to be version 0.9.0 from 10-May-2004
3. The DAG repository for RH/Fedora:
   http://dag.wieers.com/packages/asterisk/

I have some experince with Debian, Mandrake and RedHat/Fedora. I'm
unfamiliar with Gentoo and I have no good/bad experince with DAG
packages with respect to quality and stability.

Any recommendations, relevant experince and other learned opinions?

thx

--
mailto:tzafrir at technion.ac.il       +---------------------------+