[Asterisk-Users] G729 licenses

Umar Sear usedcanon at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Aug 30 14:44:59 MST 2004

On Mon, 2004-08-30 at 16:26, Kevin Walsh wrote:
> Brian Wilkins [brian at hcc.net] lazily top-posted:
> > Point is that unfortunately many systems do use G 729 so it is necessary,
> > in order to be compatible with existing gatekeepers, to use that codec.
> > I'd love to use GSM but the existing systems do not support it. It is too
> > costly to re-do everything, therefore you have to work around with what
> > you got.
> >
> Then you just dump the G.729-only supplier and find one that supports
> everything else.  There are plenty to choose from.

I am sorry, but you make it sound a lot simpler than it is. Bottom line
is than in reality not everyone has the choice.

Without even depending on any supplier(s), I would have issues using
gsm, ilbc etc, etc. with our existing equipment. Simple solution dump
the $100,000s equipment and find some that does support gsm etc etc.

It does not work like that, people have to make commercial decisions and
more often than not, that involves compromises.

So in it's spirit I would agree with what you say, however in practise