[Asterisk-Users] iaxtel and jitterbuffer

Michael George george at mutualdata.com
Sat Aug 28 20:01:31 MST 2004

On Sat, Aug 28, 2004 at 05:08:30PM -0400, Andrew Kohlsmith wrote:
> On Saturday 28 August 2004 15:24, Michael George wrote:
> > I just saw a page on the wiki that mentions that running X11 or a VESA
> > frame buffer can cause jittery sound.  I only have this problem with IAX2,
> > but that might be cause when I use Zap <--> Zap or Zap <--> SIP there is no
> > en/decoding involved.
>
> Asterisk is an application requiring hard realtime performance.  Pretty much
> any telephony application is.  Running *anything* in addition to asterisk is
> just asking for trouble.

Since X11 and other daemons  might be a problem on my main * server, I pulled
out my little testbed and fired it up.

It's a PII 266 (okay, not the fatest system) with 192MB RAM.  X is not running
and the Framebuffer has been turned off in /boot/grum/menu.lst.  I have
disabled all the servers except for sshd.  I have the latest source from CVS
HEAD as of about 30min ago.

There is no Zap card in this sytem.  The only phone on it is a SIP phone.
With it I dial in to digium's 1-700 number.  The audio is better, but still
choppy and unacceptible.

Looking at the * hardware recommendations page, this is by no means near the
smallest recorded setup, so teh system shouldn't be underpowered.

So even with X11 eliminated the sound is still bad to Digium.  I tried
another's 1700 number, and it sounded the same, so it's not something unique
to digium and me.

Would IAX/GSM be so sensitive to half-duplex that I cannot expect it to work
with my ISP only giving me 1/2 duplex service?

--
-M

There are 10 kinds of people in this world:
	Those who can count in binary and those who cannot.