[Asterisk-Users] iaxtel and jitterbuffer

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Sat Aug 28 14:08:30 MST 2004

On Saturday 28 August 2004 15:24, Michael George wrote:
> I just saw a page on the wiki that mentions that running X11 or a VESA
> frame buffer can cause jittery sound.  I only have this problem with IAX2,
> but that might be cause when I use Zap <--> Zap or Zap <--> SIP there is no
> en/decoding involved.

Asterisk is an application requiring hard realtime performance.  Pretty much
any telephony application is.  Running *anything* in addition to asterisk is
just asking for trouble.

Actually I would be curious to see if asterisk performs better in a
soft-realtime environment (i.e. what's actually easily possible with
commodity PC hardware).

-A.