[Asterisk-Users] iaxtel and jitterbuffer

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Sat Aug 28 14:05:42 MST 2004

On Saturday 28 August 2004 15:00, Michael George wrote:
> The difference between that and what I'm getting from IAX/GSM is profound,
> with GSM being intolerably poor quality.

That's odd; every single voice call coming in and out of the company I work
for is using the GSM codec with asterisk and IAX2...  even the music on hold
is passable.

> I have in my [general] section:

> 	bandwidth=low
get rid of it; you're giving codecs below.

> 	disallow=all
> 	allow=gsm

> 	jitterbuffer=yes
> 	dropcount=10
> 	maxjitterbuffer=500
> 	maxexcessbuffer=100
> 	minexcessbuffer=10
> 	jittershrinkrate=1

My jitter settings are similar.  max 500, maxexcess 100, minexcess 50,
dropcount=2 (10, are you *insane*?!), jittershrink of 1.  I'd slow down the
shrink even more if I could, as even at 1 it's still noticeable.

Please note that it seems impossible to disable jitter buffer between 20040806
CVS HEAD endpoints.  The jitterbuffer numbers in iax2 show channels look
"live".  The numbers look right (jitbuf 0ms) between 20040806 and RC1
(Nufone).   I haven't upgraded since then.

> 	trunk=no

I found 20040806 CVS HEAD to have odd little problems with trunking too.
Trunking between 20040806 and RC1 (again, with nufone) work fine.  I can't
trunk to VPC at all or they can't hear me (I can hear them).

Just to make clear: I have completely disabled the jitter buffer between
myself and Nufone and the call quality has gone up slightly.  I wasn't
expecting this.

Regards,
Andrew