[Asterisk-Users] POE

Greg Boehnlein damin at nacs.net
Sat Aug 28 13:26:27 MST 2004

On Sat, 28 Aug 2004, Michael Welter wrote:

> Since the Cisco 79XX phones preceded the PoE standard, they are
> different--polarity is reversed.
>
> IANAE, but as I understand the PoE devices, there are two types--one
> always applies -48VDC to the brown pair while the other senses (as per
> the PoE spec.) whether the device at the other end requires power.
>
> I'm not willing to risk a $300 Cisco set, so I'm still using the wall
> wart.  Is anyone providing LAN power to 79XX phones at a reasonable cost?

Please see:

http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Cisco+POE

I am using 3Com POE injectors (the Dumb kind) with Cisco 7960s without a
problem. You need a special cable that you can build or, you can buy a
PowerDSine POE injector and get the following (part PD-PS-401-5/CSCS)
which will do the same thing as the cable.

                             KP-216-121-ST