[Asterisk-Users] POE

Michael Welter mike at introspect.com
Sat Aug 28 11:13:13 MST 2004

Steve Maroney wrote:

> Hey guys,
>
> I was wondering what POE solutions are being used ? Ive done some
> searching on google and found that PowerDsine seems to be good brand.
>
> Any comments,suggestions, and experiences on POE hubs other POE products
> would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thank you,
> Steve Maroney

Since the Cisco 79XX phones preceded the PoE standard, they are
different--polarity is reversed.

IANAE, but as I understand the PoE devices, there are two types--one
always applies -48VDC to the brown pair while the other senses (as per
the PoE spec.) whether the device at the other end requires power.

I'm not willing to risk a $300 Cisco set, so I'm still using the wall
wart.  Is anyone providing LAN power to 79XX phones at a reasonable cost?

Mike