[Asterisk-Users] G729 licenses

Kevin Walsh kevin at cursor.biz
Sat Aug 28 07:52:14 MST 2004

Sergey Lapin [slapin at drevlanka.ru] wrote:
> What will Asterisk do in the following case:
>
> For example, we have 4 licenses, and have 4
> simultaneous calls, using G729.
>
> Will asterisk allow incoming calls from peer,
> that can talk G729 and ulaw, and will it
> force it somehow to use ulaw in this case?
>
> All phones there in LAN behind Asterisk
> prefer GSM codec, so it does transcoding.
>
> So, what I mean is will Asterisk fall back
> to use other codecs, when it will be out of
> G729 licenses?

Asterisk will not fall back to another codec if G.729 is requested
and not is available.  The general idea is that you work out how many
licenses you will need on your busiest day and then buy a couple of
extras.  Most of the time you will not be using what you have paid for.
The G.729 monopolists have made enough money out of their week's work,
so why give them more?

A better idea is to use a different codec, such as GSM, iLBC or even
ulaw (if you have the bandwidth), and ignore G.729 completely.  You
can add several choices in a list and allow the link to negotiate.
The SIP channel will try your codec choices in order of preference
but IAX2 will just pick one (usually ulaw).  Adding a few lines of code
will allow the IAX2 channel to respect the code preference order you
select.

If your supplier will only talk G.729 then switch to one that will
allow you to use a different codec.  There are plenty to choose from
these days.

 _/ _/    _/          _/ _/     _/    _/  _/_/    kevin at cursor.biz