[Asterisk-Users] Overhead Paging

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Fri Aug 27 09:53:27 MST 2004

> >... Instead, they use a centralized
> > power source, and amplifiers at each speaker unit...
>
> I've never seen one like that, That would suck nut bigtime... Especially if
> you had a large building with 100+ speakers, you would have to tune the
> volume on each one... That's not how the TAMB works, it has a centralised
> volume control....

I think he was describing a PA system that has either lots of speakers or
very long cable runs. It use to be rather popular in those cases to use
an amplifier that produced higher voltage audio (and therefore the need for
lower current per speaker) to avoid the loss of power to each speaker due
to the cable runs, etc.  In that case, a step-down transformer was required
at each speaker (or room), and if the customer wanted "room volume controls",
then an additional control had to be wired to the speaker.

I would seriously doubt whether folks see much of that anymore. Lots of
other ways to address boat-loads of speakers and long cable runs with
current technology.

Rich