[Asterisk-Users] home lab setup

Kevin Walsh kevin at cursor.biz
Thu Aug 26 14:22:30 MST 2004

Mikel King [mikel.king at ocsny.com] wrote:
> I am interested in setting up a lab in my house to run my home phone
> system. Can some one point me in the right direction hardware wise for
> achieving this goal? I happen to have a few 3com NBX phones, and have
> been told that they are SIP compliant but am not exactly sure if I
> believe 3com...I would be interested to know if anyone has these things
> working on *.
>
> In any event I obviously only have a single pots line to the house
> so I need to build the system around that limitation, otherwise the
> house is wired cat5e and I can certainly run more line as needed.

In my home setup, I have one Sipura SPA-2000 (with two portable DECT
phones attached), one Cisco 7960 and a X101P which provides the analogue
FXO.  These are all connected to an IBM NetFinity server, which has a
PIII/800, 512MB memory and, of course, Gentoo GNU/Linux (2.6.8 kernel).

I will be dumping the X101P in favour of a SPA-3000 next month
(September 2004), when it gets full UK (BT) support.  The SPA-3000 has
one FXO (line) port and one FXS (analogue phone) port.

I don't have a clue about the 3COM kit you have.  You'll just have to
try the phones and see.

 _/ _/    _/          _/ _/     _/    _/  _/_/    kevin at cursor.biz