[Asterisk-Users] Overhead Paging

Chris Shaw chriss at watertech.com
Thu Aug 26 09:06:48 MST 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Brian Pavane" <asterisk-users at brianpavane.org>
<asterisk-users at lists.digium.com>
Sent: Thursday, August 26, 2004 5:12 AM
Subject: [Asterisk-Users] Overhead Paging

> All,
>
> I am currently implementing a VoIP PBX, and need to deal with the paging
> situation.  I would prefer to do paging via overhead speakers.
>
> My plan is to connect a "Paging Unit" to an FXS port of an IAD, and assign
an
> extension to that port.  I would then simply be able to call that
extension, and
> have my call patched through to the overhead speakers.
>
> Has anyone implemented this type of setup, if so, what type of paging unit
did
> you deploy, did you require an external amplifier or power supply, and how
many
> speakers were you able to connect to the unit?  As it stands, I will need
> between 4 and 8 speakers, and some of the speakers will be 400 feet from
the
> main telco closet.
>
> Any thoughts, comments, and suggestions that you can shed on this topic
would be
> much appreciated.  If you have other methods of implementing overhead
paging, I
> would also be interested.
>
> -Brian

The Valcom units don't mention SIP... they must be some proprietary
protocol, also says it's Windows based... eww...

Anything that you can do to an FXS port on a regular PBX you should be able
to do to the FXS port of an IAD (within reason of course). You don't usually
connect the speakers directly to the FXS, usually there's a device like an
inline power supply that provides voltage and audio to the speakers or
bullhorn...

The GrandStream HT486 has a nice intercom function which sends a "BEEP!"
before answering. The SPA-2000 also has an intercom but doesn't provide the
beep...

    -Chris